Magic Formula Investing

Using the Magic Formula for investing; based on "The Little Book that Beats the Market" I started a real life test with $50,000 of my own money. The blog described the process, thoughts, pain and ongoing updates on this adventure.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

1 month Update -- + 3.05 %

Well here are the hard numbers and then a few thoughts:

Bought 2/23/06

Swimmer Magic Formula Portfolio: + 3.04 %

Compare same time span:
Dow: + 2.02 %
SP500: + 1.16%
Nasd: + .71%

Best Mutual Fund Category (Domestic - Not specialty)
Small Growth: +1.54%

Best Comparison Mutual Fund Category is Small Blend:
My return would compare to top 5% of all funds in the category !

Overall the results are quite impressive - I know, 1 month means very little. But the portfolio has easily beaten pretty much all the common comparison numbers.

The most fascinating thing is that the stock I thought would do the best out of my 20 is down the most (14%). Portalplayer, on paper had the best potential to me, so good thing good thing I bought 19 others to make up for that disaster.

3 Comments:

Blogger RickO. said...

I ran across your blog while Googling value investor Philip Durell (of Motley Fool) I wonder if it would increase the odds of picking better value stocks to subscribe to one of these guru's who do this type of search all the time? Or perhaps a combination of that, and just buying some shares of Berkshire Hathaway (BRKB) , which is only about 3,000 per share? I noticed this link on Motley Fools site, where they're pushing his newsletter. It just sounds so cheezy, like all the crap you get in the mail every day selling another newsletter...

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ricko,
I will tell you one thing about the Fools: they are good, esp. the original ones (David and Tom). I have not subscribed to Inside Value but I have the Stock Advisor and their stuff is pretty good (better than S&P avg by atleast 20%).

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right--one month means nothing. However, I do check my portfolio each day as well, to educate myself about how certain types of news moves stocks up & down. This may help down the line in deciding that a stock price drop has been overblown, creating a buying opportunity.

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home